Six Steps To Building A Target-Crushing Sales Team
Are you looking to add a few good sales reps to your team? Maybe you’re building a team from scratch, or perhaps you’re reinvigorating a team that has lost its spark. Either way, this isn’t a task that should be taken lightly.
Renowned sales expert Anthony Iannarino says that sales is the lifeblood of any company. Without a strong sales team, it doesn’t matter how great your organization’s offerings – you need a group of standout sales reps with ambition and drive to keep your company growing.
How do you begin to assemble a high-performing sales team? Read on. We share Iannarino’s expert guidance in this issue of PromoPro Daily.
1. Develop a competency model. Iannarino says this is simply a set of skills and successes that clearly define what strong performance looks like on your sales team. Reps need to know what success looks like if they’re going to excel. When outlining your competency mode, Iannarino recommends including the skills sales reps need along with character traits such as discipline and accountability.
2. Find the right reps. Once you know what you’re looking for, go out and find the right people. Make sure you include the traits and competencies you’re seeking in your job description. Don’t be afraid to consider less-experienced reps. Iannarino says it’s more important to look for people with the right attitude and mindset.
3. Use the right sales approach. The best salespeople in the world will struggle to succeed if they aren’t using an effective, modern approach, Iannarino says. Make sure you define an approach that will create maximum value for your customers and prospects.
4. Keep up with regular sales training. Don’t neglect training once your sales reps get their footing. The sales environment is constantly shifting, and prospects’ expectations are always changing. You can counter this, Iannarino says, with regular sales training.
5. Provide one-on-one coaching. This can help improve each individual rep’s confidence and performance. Think you don’t have time to coach? Iannarino says this is a big mistake – you don’t have time not to coach.
6. Clearly communicate goals and objectives. This is key in building an exceptional sales team. Iannarino advises creating a set of team goals around creating opportunities and generating wins. Then, make sure to communicate those goals clearly so everyone knows what they need to do to succeed.
Always take time to build your sales team in the right way. Don’t rush the process but go through the steps above to ensure you’re recruiting top-tier talent.
Compiled by Audrey Sellers
Source: Anthony Iannarino is an author, speaker and sales expert. He’s the founder of B2B Sales Coach & Consultancy, a boutique sales coaching and consulting firm.