PromoWire (2/20-2/23): News And Notes From Around The Industry
(Editor’s Note: PromoWire by PPAI Media is a running digest of news releases and updates submitted from organizations around the promotional products industry. PPAI Media edits these only slightly, including for length, and will consider newsworthy entries from any member organization.)
February 23, 2023
American Ad Bag Reports Power Outage
Supplier American Ad Bag (PPAI 111067, S11), based in Woodstock, Illinois, has reported a power outage at its facility. As of the time of publication, the company has not yet announced an estimate of when the outage would be resolved.
February 22, 2023
Compass Industries To Become Exclusive Promotional Products Supplier For Boogie Board
Kent Displays, the makers of the bestselling Boogie Board writing tablets, announced a partnership that makes Compass Industries (PPAI 110923, S6) the exclusive promotional supplier for Boogie Board and its popular line of reusable writing products.
- “We are very excited to form this new partnership with Compass, a company known for bringing high quality retail brands to the promotional products industry,” said Joel Domino, president and CFO of Kent Displays. “Not only does Compass share our passion for quality but also the belief that our line has vast potential in an industry that is constantly on the hunt for unique and innovative products.”
- Compass President Michael Levy sees the addition of Boogie Board as a perfect complement to their other brands. “Compass is well known for the premium quality, name brand products that we sell to the branded merchandise industry,” says Levy. “Boogie Board’s unique and innovative reusable writing products will be an excellent addition to our current roster of brands.”
Koozie Group, IMAGEN Brands Announce Carbon Neutral Goal
As part of its Keep It. Give It. initiative, Koozie Group (PPAI 114187, S13) and its sister company IMAGEN Brands (PPAI 114197, S10) announced their intent to become carbon neutral on Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions, as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), by the end of 2024.
- They are the first hard goods and stationery promotional products suppliers to set such an aggressive goal. For Koozie Group, this move is the latest in a long line of social responsibility measures the company has made since 2020 when it launched its Keep It. Give It. social impact and sustainability commitment. IMAGEN Brands is now fully participating in the program as well.
- In 2022, Koozie Group and IMAGEN Brands began measuring Scope 1 and 2 emissions monthly. The EPA defines Scope 1 emissions as direct greenhouse (GHG) emissions generated from sources controlled or owned by the organization, including those associated with fuel combustion in boilers or furnaces. Scope 2 emissions are indirect GHG emissions associated with a company’s purchase of electricity, steam, heat or cooling.
- “We know that the health of our planet is important to our distributors and their customers, and it’s also important to our employees and their families,” said Pierre Montaubin, chief product & sustainability officer. “We want to lead the promotional products industry in these efforts by going beyond just selling sustainable products to taking this next step in our corporate responsibility journey.”
Proforma CTO Brian Carothers Named PromoStandards Distributor Person Of The Year
Brian Carothers, Proforma's chief technology officer, was awarded the PromoStandards Distributor Person of the Year at the Annual Tech Summit and Hack-a-Thon hosted in Tampa, Florida. This award is one of the inaugural PromoStandards Persons of the Year Awards for the promotional products industry.
- PromoStandards (PPAI 816699) is a community of suppliers, distributors and service providers in the promotional products industry that are committed to standardizing and enabling the quick flow of information to reduce transactional friction while promoting effective strategy execution.
- "I'm incredibly proud of Brian Carothers’ contribution to the industry,” says Proforma CEO Vera Muzzillo. “He continues to raise the bar for high-level workflow automation, seamless integration, and improved efficiency.”
- Brian Carothers received this award as a result of his ongoing technology leadership in the industry and the PromoStandards community. He was specifically recognized for actively championing the development and implementation of standards, substantially contributing to automation in the order process, successfully identifying and solving complex problems, and generously hosting numerous PromoStandards events.
February 21, 2023
SanMar Announces Vice President of Logistics
SanMar Corporation (PPAI 110788, S16) announced John Janson as Vice President, Global Logistics. Janson, a longtime SanMar leader who elevated the company’s logistics and deepened partnerships with key strategic suppliers, assumed the role effective February 5.
- Janson is a logistics leader who brings deep transportation management expertise to SanMar’s executive team. During his nearly 40-year career, he has served more than six years at SanMar, most recently as senior director of global logistics. In 2022, Janson was honored by DC Velocity with its annual Rain Maker award, celebrating leaders making a difference in the world of logistics.
- “We are thrilled to have a trusted expert and natural leader at the helm of our logistics network,” said Patrick Noonan, chief product officer at SanMar. “John is positioned to lead SanMar to the next level."
- The move marks a notable investment in the company’s leadership of its global and domestic supply network.
Gemline To Host Free Live Webinar On March 8
Gemline (PPAI 113948, S11) will be hosting a free live webinar – Outside, in: A conversation with Former Defense Secretary and CIA Chief Leon Panetta – on Wednesday, March 8 at 1 p.m. (Eastern) featuring former Secretary Leon Panetta, who will help us try to understand ongoing global events and the potential future impacts.
- A presentation by Secretary Panetta will be followed by a Q&A led by Gemline’s Executive Chair, Jonathan Isaacson.
ASB Sales Associate Kevin Becker Achieves Record Year
American Solutions for Business (PPAI 101656, D12) Sales Associate Kevin Becker achieved a record year in sales, increasing by 53% in the last fiscal year.
- Becker has been with American since 2018. “Our two main goals for 2023 are to continue to provide creative solutions for my current and new clients, and to find more efficiencies in our processes,” he says.
- ASB’s Regional VP of SOS, Bori Ly, had the opportunity to meet and work professionally with Becker while on the supplier side of the industry. “He’s not one to just wait for opportunities to fall into his lap,” explained Ly. “Through the business he’s receiving through ASB’s SpecConnect program, and his incredible response time, we expect to continue to see him grow his relationships and his sales.”
Infinity Headwear Introduces Styles Made for Women With ‘INFINITY Her’ Brand
Infinity Headwear (PPAI 791471) is launching INFINITY Her headwear styles for women through Sportsman Cap & Bag distributors.
- “Our design team creates perfectly fitted caps for women in a variety of styles focusing on the details that matter to women for everyday wear, occasions and sporting activities,” says Jeremy Laney, CEO of Infinity Product Group.
- INFINITY Her designed headwear to solve problems women encounter when wearing caps. The patent pending Elude sweatband is make-up resistant, breathable and moisture wicking, which helps with unsightly makeup stains. The Evolve concealed ponytail opening makes it easy to wear hair up or down without the awkward gap. The seven INFINITY Her styles include these features in 58 SKUs available in prints, washed, mesh back and denim styles.
- Infinity Headwear will be distributed exclusively through Sportsman Cap & Bag’s 16 North American distributor locations: S&S Activewear, Carolina Made, Kati Sportcap & Bag, McCreary’s Tees, Mission Imprintables and SLC Activewear.