Seven Ideas For Creating Your Own Luck In Sales
A little bit of luck can never hurt in sales or in life. Sometimes you’re in the right place at the right time or you just happen to benefit from a fortuitous event. But true success never comes from waiting around for good things to come your way — you have to take action.
Fortunately, there are many ways you can open the door to more luck in your career. In this issue of PromoPro Daily, we highlight some ideas that Katherine Deighan, a demand generation manager, shared on the Covideo blog.
1. Try new things. The luckiest people think creatively, stay curious and look for ways to set themselves apart from the competition. How can you do this? Deighan recommends trying something new in your sales strategy. For example, instead of sending a plain-text email, send a short, personalized video.
2. Always be prepared. This means arriving to meetings ready to discuss and brainstorm. It means learning your products and services so you know them backward and forward. Putting in the work beforehand will set you up when opportunity comes knocking, Deighan says.
3. Meet new people. You should strive to always be connecting with others both personally and professionally. The more connections you make, the more opportunities can come your way. This is why networking is such a powerful sales tactic.
4. Be open to luck. This means being aware that every conversation, circumstance or situation could lead to a new opportunity for you. Deighan says to pay attention to when you might be able to step in and help rather than waiting for opportunities to come to you.
5. Take chances. Step outside of your comfort zone and try new things or different approaches. It may lead to failure, Deighan says, but failure leads to growth.
6. Word hard. Continue putting work in, you’ll eventually see the reward. It may not come right away, but persistence and grit prevail. It’s the journey of figuring it out, expanding your skills and setting yourself up so when an opportunity comes, you’re able to take it on and land the deal, Deighan says.
7. Be present in the moment. To invite more luck into your life, you can’t be worried about the future or focused on the past. Live in the moment and take things day by day. Even the smallest moments can be life-changing, she says.
You know the saying: Fortune favors the bold. If you want to experience more luck, you have to take chances and be willing to go out and find it.
Compiled by Audrey Sellers
Source: Katherine Deighan, a demand generation manager, contributed this piece for the Covideo blog. Covideo is a video messaging platform for businesses.