PromoWire (6/13-6/14): News And Notes From Around The Industry
(Editor’s Note: PromoWire by PPAI Media is a running digest of updates submitted from organizations around the promotional products industry. PPAI Media will consider newsworthy entries from any member organization.)
June 14, 2023
Industry Veteran Ray Rodriguez Leaving Tekweld
Ray Rodriguez, a 35 -year plus veteran of the promotional and premium industry, is stepping down from his role as vice president of sales and marketing at Tekweld (PPAI 266346, S4) to pursue new personal and business projects he is passionate about.
- Rodriguez started his career in the promotional industry with BIC Corporation.
“I couldn’t have picked a better company than Tekweld to represent at this stage of my promotional products career,” says Rodriguez. “Taylor Tadmor, the owner, gave me free rein to take the company to the next level, and I’ve been happy to be part of their explosive growth over the last seven years.”
BAMKO Raises Funds For Cancer Research In Memory Of Steve Friedman
Following the death of Tangerine founder, Steve Friedman, of pancreatic cancer last February, his BAMKO (PPAI 242148, D8) teammates Gary Siegel and Adam Rosenbaum led an effort to raise funds for cancer research in his honor.
- They created a pullover featuring his favorite saying (“Myyyy Brother”) on the sleeve and sold it to friends and family, raising over $2,500 that was donated to The Cancer Wellness Center in his memory.
- The company invites industry friends wanting to contribute to the fund to help find a cure for pancreatic cancer to visit www.cancerwellness.org/ways-to-donate/donate-now/ and select “In Memory of” and enter Steve Friedman. BAMKO is matching all donations.
“Every donation, no matter how small, makes a difference in the fight against cancer,” says BAMKO President Jake Himelstein.
June 13, 2023
Carhartt Appoints New VP of Global Merchandising
Carhartt, an industry supplier of premium workwear and streetwear, has appointed Tara Roemke as vice president of global merchandising.
- She will lead the product growth strategy for both the men’s workwear and Carhartt company gear – its uniform B2B and PPE businesses.
- Roemke joins the company after 13 years at Ariat International, where she most recently served as vice president of apparel and denim product management. Before that, she spent four years at Levi Strauss and two years at Gap Inc.
“Tara has an impressive track record of developing and implementing strategic product plans that authentically reach diverse audiences to drive business,” says Susan Hennike, Carhartt's chief brand officer. “We are so pleased that she is bringing her expertise to Carhartt and will grow our men's category and our PPE business in new ways while delivering the premium, durable workwear that our consumers depend on each day.”
June 12, 2023
Salt Life Brand Expands Retail Footprint, Raises Visibility
Salt Life, the ocean lifestyle brand of Delta Apparel (PPAI 188431, S9), recently expanded its presence in the northeastern U.S. and was the focus of a New York Times article.
- The brand has opened its latest brick-and-mortar retail store in Long Branch, New Jersey, marking its 23rd store nationwide and the second in the Northeastern market.
- It has locations from California to Florida and as far north as New Jersey, with plans to expand to multiple locations in New York later this year.
- In addition, Salt Life was recently the subject of a feature article in the New York Times highlighting the brand’s origins in 2003 and trajectory into a lifestyle brand with a consumer base stretching across the U.S.
Delta Apparel Chairman and CEO Robert W. Humphreys, says, “It’s truly exciting and rewarding to see our Salt Life brand expand into new markets outside of the Southeast and grow into a comprehensive lifestyle brand with fans across the country and internationally. Our success in the Northeast provides further confirmation of our long-held view that the Salt Life brand is geographically unlimited and will resonate anywhere there are individuals with an affinity for the ocean.”
June 8, 2023
HanesBrands Inks Deal With The University Of Minnesota
HanesBrands (PPAI 191138, S10) has entered a new primary apparel partnership with the University of Minnesota. The 10-year strategic agreement gives HanesBrands (HBI) exclusive rights to design, manufacture and distribute high-quality, on-trend fanwear across mass and campus/local retail channels.
- The expansive collections for the Minnesota Golden Gophers will include men’s, women’s, unisex, youth, infant and toddler fan apparel. The company will also create special activations and enhanced retail presentations.
- The University of Minnesota joins the University of Michigan, Clemson, Auburn, University of Southern California, University of Texas, The Ohio State University and other elite schools with exclusive HBI mass retail partnerships.
- Along with the Champion and Hanes brands, the eco-forward Alternative Apparel and ComfortWash brands are also included in the company’s collegiate apparel program.
Cintas Named A USA Today Climate Leader 2023
Cintas Corporation (PPAI 303547, D12) has been named to the inaugural USA Today Climate Leader 2023 list in recognition of its commitment to and success in reducing its greenhouse gas emissions intensity between 2019 and 2021.
- Cintas lowered the emissions intensity of its Scope 1 direct and Scope 2 indirect emissions from 113.1 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalents per million dollars of revenue in fiscal year 2019, to 89.3 MTCO2e/$M in fiscal year 2021, which ended on May 31, 2021.
- In fiscal year 2022, it lowered its emissions intensity by an additional 7.5% – to 82.6 MTCO2e/$M – to bring its four-year emissions intensity reduction to 27%. More information about Cintas’ emissions performance and data methodologies is available in its 2022 ESG Report.